Sunday 11 August 2013

Quilt-along madness

I seem to be in a space at the moment where I have this compulsion to keep joining quilt-alongs. I think it might be the variety that is appealing as they are all very different!

Firstly there is the Star Surround with Melissa at Happy Quilting. Week three saw us making the flying geese.






Then I found a paper pieced quilt along for Doctor Who fans! This is being run by Soma (Whims and Fancies) and Caroline (Trillium Design). Their paper piecing patterns are just amazing. I am still playing catch up with this one as I didn't find it at the start. So far I have managed two blocks.

Timelord


K-9



Then the other day I came across the Easy as ABC quilt along with Blossom Heart Quilts. She is blogging 5 letters a month that are very simply pieced together to make a quilt, see details here

I don't want to make the who quilt, despite how appealing it is, primarily because I have too many of those on the go already (oops!). So I am selecting letters from her patterns to make my kiddies names into banners for their rooms. 

These last few weeks we have had some bedroom swapping going on in our house so I have been painting their bedrooms. Thank goodness I have nearly finished the third one as I am now tired of painting!! The walls look crisp and clean again and I thought a name banner hanging above their closets would look good.

So August saw the letters F, G, H, I and J. I have started with the eldest child and she only has 2 of these letters in her name.


For her birthday last year I made her a cushion for her bed so I am using the same fabrics to make the banner.




The colours are a lot darker in this photo than they really are. I have quilted these very simply by stitching around the letter and will bind with a kona marine blue. So onto the next child. 

It's all good fun :)

2 comments:

  1. Great idea to use the letters to spell our your children's name :). Love the colours :).

    Jenn from Mellycoddle :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea!! You'll have to link it up at the end in December - that's definitely a creative use for the blocks :D

    ReplyDelete