Wednesday 5 June 2013

Experimenting with a charm pack!

Oh boy, where did June appear from! 

My mum has travelled from the UK to stay with us for a few weeks, leaving my dad and the dog at home. It's really nice having her around. Aside from us being able to chat about sewing (it's all her doing getting me into this fabric obsession) and do things we don't normally get the chance to do, she keeps doing my ironing for me and has relieved me of some of the school runs! What could be better than that!

The birthday party now over, Mario has been pushed to the back of my mind for a while, and I have moved onto something new!

Since distance prevents mum and I from sewing together much, we have been making the most of it this last week or so. I had a couple of charm packs of the noteworthy collection sat in my stash and we decided to see what we could each do with them.

There was one restriction we could only add a solid, or possibly two, to the design. So out came the Kona Snow and we started planning.

Mum has pretty much tried everything related to sewing and quilting over the years, but has always picked more traditional fabrics and patterns or appliqué. But I have been pushing modern designs and fabrics her way more recently and she is changing her ways! She saw my curved pieces on the design wall and hasn't got the quick curve ruler at home so is experimenting with that this week! This has been made a bit more challenging by the small size of the fabric squares! But she is adaptable and she likes to do small pieces, so she is doing alright so far.
I am loving the colours she has put together! Here is one of them:

I have gone for a more simple design. I had in my mind something dots and dashes style. So I started by cutting my charms in half and then one half into half again. Then cut lots of Kona Snow and just started sewing them together! This pile was the result:

After lots of crawling about on the floor moving pieces around and observing the layouts, I have settled on a design. A bit more Kona snow and sewing later and here is a shot of a part of it:

It wasn't quite what I had in my mind, I am terrible at planning and designing on paper, but that's the price I pay for just jumping in feet first! Now that I am seeing some of it sewn together it is growing on me!

So my goal for this month is to finish the top and get it basted and ready to quilt. If I can start the quilting that would be a bonus, but since there is rather a lot going on outside of my sewing room this month I am not going to push it too far!

Linking up with 


  1. Sometimes it just needs to happen. It looks great and can not wait to see the finish once you get there :)

  2. Looks like it should be interesting! I like the stacked look.

  3. I always enjoy reading your posts. I look forward to seeing both quilts and what you did with your little challenge.

  4. I love Noteworthy... looking forward to seeing your quilt top.