Friday 2 March 2018

Doctor Who Quilt ** Finish **

This quilt has been finished a while! I started this as part of a quilt along run by Whims and Fancies and Trillium Designs back in May 2013.

For the first few months I managed to stay on top of the blocks as they were published but then I got behind and had to play catch up and that took me quite some time.

Some of the blocks are posted here, here, and here. Until I had all the blocks but then it sat for a long time while I decided how I wanted to put it together into a top.



I made some text to go along with the blocks, but I didn't take pictures of those for some reason. But I did take a picture of a rough lay out.



For some reason it took me a long time to get this completed. 

Completed quilt top

I had grand designs for the back, more piecing and more blocks. But I had the idea to give this gift at Christmas and time was running out so I decided to use some fireside backing on the back instead. I chose a dark grey that went well with the purple. 

For the quilting I did large stippling around the purple background avoiding the blocks. I then did some small amounts of detailed quilting on the blocks. 

The quilted front

Quilting on the fireside backing

This quilt is large and rather heavy, but warm and cozy and finished! :) 




Stats:
Pattern: Blocks by Whims and Fancies and Trillium Designs, layout by me
Quilting: Free motion stippling and some detailed outlining, by me
Fabric: Kona Midnight and fabrics from my stash
Size: 65" x 80" 
Started: May 2013
Finished: February 10, 2018


This was on my list of goals for the first quarter of the 2018 Finish-a-long.





2 comments:

  1. Very cool! Congratulations on your finish! Wow what an achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a great finish! I love the words you added in your layout! On behalf of the 2018 FAL hosts, thank you for finishing along with us.

    ReplyDelete