Monday 12 February 2018

Do Good Stitches ** Finish **

Last September was the quilter for our Do Good Stitches group - the Happiness Circle. So I chose a wonky, improv type log cabin. The colour scheme was turquoise/aquas and greys with the centre blocks being a red or yellow. Here are the two blocks I made for the quilt.




And here are all the blocks I received. Our group is not quite 12 so I was lacking a few, but luckily I have enough of these colours in my stash to make up the blocks.


To make it a little bigger I decided to add a border around the edge and I had some Kona ash that worked well and made it just the right size.



As usual, I didn't have enough of a single fabric for the backing. So I made a back in the style of the front - a large log cabin block. I am trying to use up some of the fabrics I have had for a long time, so this was perfect. I rather like the large style block.
The Back

Having done several quilts lately that required lots of quilting I was ready for a fast finish, so I kept the quilting simple on this quilt. I did organic lines across the quilt, super fast!


And look a label. I am terrible at labeling quilts. But this was simple as I was sent this little label and just had to attach it. They are perfect. 



When binding a quilt I usually opt to machine stitch the binding in place and then finish by hand. But this time I thought I would try sewing the binding down by machine. I have done this before but find I have to take it out more times than I can bare because it just doesn't work well. But this time it went like a dream, I couldn't believe it. No seam ripping!! 


And there we have it, another finished quilt ready for giving to a charity - just need to decide which one.

The Front

This was one of the projects on my Finish-a-long list for this first quarter! So good to tick another one off the list.


Stats:
Pattern: Improv/wonky log cabin
Quilting: Free motion organic lines, by me
Fabric: Group quilt, so lots of different fabrics
Size: 58 x 70" 
Started: September 2017
Finished: February 11, 2018

3 comments:

  1. I love the echo of the front as the back! On behalf of the Finish-A-Long crew, congrats on the finish and thank you for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So when I saw your quilt on the FAL linky party, I thought "That would be a great quilt for do.good stitches!" And it is! :) I'm in the Harmony Group -- I'm the quilter this month so I'm awaiting blocks to arrive in the mail. So fun! Cute label too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your color scheme! Congratulations on your finish!

    ReplyDelete